How Ozone Water Treatment Improves Well Water
When it comes to having clean, fresh, sanitized well water, an ozone water treatment system is one of the safest and most effective options available. If you’re concerned about iron, minerals, and bacteria in your water or you find the smell and taste of your well water to be a bit “off,” our well pump repair company is taking a closer look at ozone treatments to see if it’s the right option for you.
Before we dive into how ozone treatment works, we need to look more closely at what ozone is. Ozone is a form of oxygen, in which the chemical formula is O3 rather than O2 and is formed when oxygen is exposed to an electrical current. You may know the scent of ozone in the air after a strong crack of lightning nearby during a thunderstorm and think of how clean and fresh that scent is for just a moment.
Ozone is only in the air for a moment because it’s highly unstable. Within seconds of electricity turning oxygen into ozone, it reverts back, but during the time it’s active, ozone is a powerful disinfectant, killing off bacteria and oxidizing metals almost immediately. For example, when ozone is added to water, the bacteria and viruses are killed, and any metal in the water, such as iron or manganese is oxidized into a neutral sediment that can then be filtered out.
How Does Ozone Water Treatment Work for Wells?
Now that you know how oxidization works on water, let’s look at how an ozone water treatment system works for wells. It’s a multi-step system, and while manufacturers may make different systems, at its core, the steps are fairly similar:
- An air dryer is installed to pull air in and remove any moisture, leaving behind oxygen and inert nitrogen.
- The air is then moved to an ozone generator where a small portion of the air is converted to ozone.
- The ozone is fed through an injection tool or a tube so that it hits the water that is coming into the house from the well.
- The ozone oxidizes and disinfects the water as it comes through and moves into the home’s pressure tank, while any sediment formed is filtered out.
- Any ozone that moves through with the water is released through a valve in the form of harmless oxygen.
This all works seamlessly and constantly, allowing you to have a continuous stream of fresh, pure water to your home.
Benefits of Oxidization for Well Water Treatment
As we’ve mentioned, ozone is a powerful disinfectant. The only one that is as effective is chlorine, but, unlike chlorine, ozone doesn’t leave a chemical residue or odor in your water. In fact, ozone treatments have been used for over a century to treat municipal water systems and at bottled water facilities. Additionally, it offers the following benefits:
- It’s an automatic treatment, and there is no need to add chemicals or worry about ongoing maintenance.
- You can get the perfect size for your water usage to ensure optimally clean water.
- It’s a one time investment to get clean, fresh water. (Though you still want to get your well tested at regular intervals)
Contact Us for Ozone Well Water Treatment in Raleigh
If you are concerned about the way your well water smells or tastes, or you experience staining on clothes and fixtures from high-metal water, an ozone water treatment system may be right for you. To learn more about them and get a quote for installation in and around the Raleigh area, reach out to us today at 919-291-4063 or fill out the form below to learn more.